Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for itching and burning on penis

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 3026 Questions
Hi i have a burning feeling around the top of the penis as well as on the sides on the skin as if it cannot stretch anymore so it burns, this only happens when erect. It also itches very much and i dont know what it is from?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please answer and post the photos

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM.

You have given short history. You have itching and burning sensation on glans penis.
I would like to ask few questions..

- from how many days you have such problem?
- any skin lesion on penis? On glans,foreskin or shaft. Is it erosions, blister, elevated lesion or redness?
- describe the lesion in detail?
- any other disease elsewhere?
- history of disease at present or in past?
- history of any medicine intake?
- family history of any disease?
- marital status? History of sexual contact?
- job?

Please answer above queries and POST THE PHOTOS OF AFFECTED PARTS, so that I can help you in better ways.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for itching and burning on penis 1 hour later
1- its been coming and going for a few months now. And mostly happens during intercourse but not always and mostly when erect.
2- there are no lesions just very minor swelling and redness around the glans and a burning feeling. And an itch on the shaft and as i mentioned before it feels like it cant stretch anymore and burns. Also i am circumcised since i was a few months old.
3- i have eczema since birth and herpes simplex type 1 since i can remember.
4- i dont have a history for medication just cortisone when needed for the eczema which appears in random areas.
5- i am married and didnt have sexual contact before that.
6- i work as an operator in an oil company.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes progenitalis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.

After reading history, it seems that you may be having mild form of herpes progenitalis.

You said there is no lesion except redness,it means that the there is no XXXXXXX vesicular lesions as occur in herpes progenitalis. So, I feel that there might be mild form of herpes progenitalis. There may be redness and burning occuring mostly after intercourse.

Herpes progenitalis is a viral infection caused by HSV virus type 2 in 95 % cases and by HSV virus type 1 in 5% cases. It is a controllable disease , relapses off and on,and cure may accur after long time.

In circumcised patients, mostly the disease remains in mild form.

Antiviral like acyclovir 800 mg 5 times a day may be taken for few weeks or till disease is controlled and may be repeated ob recurrance of the disease. Acyclovir cream may be applied on the lesion. Immunomodulators like levamisole 50 mg daily may be taken for long time. You consult dermatologist, have required investigations and then go for treatment..ok

Remember, herpes virus might become active due to rubbing or due to immunodeficiency conditions. I hope you might got my answer.


Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor