Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for itchiness in the anal area

Answered by
Dr. Geetika Paul


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2609 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: over the past couple months my anal/gooch area has been very itchy especially at night. It sometimes takes me a long time to fall asleep. It feels moist sometimes and often bleeds when I wipe after I go to the bathroom. It does not seem to be a rash there just very sensitive/uncomfortable, every once in a while a bump will come up but disappear a few days later. I thought it could be hemmroids so I tried prep H and I've tried the goldbond itching relief stuff and nothing. I got tested about 3 weeks ago for stds and nothing. I'm very curious as to what the itching, the bleeding when I wipe, and the moisture is? Someone please help I'm too afraid to go to a doctor and have to say all this.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply antifungal agent

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
The symptoms you have, all point towards a fungal infection called candida.
This infection is quite common in the skin folds of body and can cause maceration of skin leading to moisture and oozing of fluid along with itching and sometimes even bleeding.
I would suggest that you should try an antifungal course for seven to ten days.
First keep the affected area clean and dry.
Apply an antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it .
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease sweating .
A fungal infection in this region may take ten to fourteen days to cure .
I am sure this treatment should help you.

However if the bleeding tends to persist or increase anytime in between, then you might need to be examined by a doctor in person to rule out hemorrhoids or any other problem.
But I would like to assure you that your symptoms do not look like any std.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Can canestan be used if im male. What about a cream called clotrimazole?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take clotrimazole cream

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can use clotrimazole cream over the affected areas twice a day as told before.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on Skin rash

doctor1 MD

Hi, im 19 on the ridge of my penis forskin ( right upnder the head) i have 3 skin ( a bit transparant ) flat slightly raised but barely bumps or patches im not sure what to call them I recently noticed them acouple weeks ago and have been researching what they could be but havent found anything alike they were ive only had oral sex ( blow job) and ive had unprotected sex once from what ive read it might be masterbation rash or something I cant really tell, they are only really noticeable when falcid when erect you wwouldnt be able to notice them

doctor1 MD

sir, my child got suddenly severe rashes on entire body first came on to face,3 days back, it seems to symptoms like hives we met skin specialist he refered some medicines. my question is how many days will take to reover ? is there any side effects with hives ?

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... This is a difficut case, I have gradually been losing hair on the left and right side of my head at the hairline. I don't know if it will have any relationship, but I also have devoped some type of red rash on the insides of a couple fingers, as will as on top of the hand. It is itchy and sore.

doctor1 MD

I have had a skin rash, hives for several weeks the doctor prescribedprednisone for 10 days and it went away, two days after I stopped it all came back now he has prescribed cetirizine yesterday and after 2 pills, I have absolutely no relief from itching, is this normal, how fast should it work?

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and is not going away...I had read somewhere in the webmd website that facial rashes are the first sign...

doctor1 MD

I am getting skin rash after taking Bactrim. Hands, feet. Should I take Benadryl?