Suggest treatment for itchiness in the anal area

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: over the past couple months my anal/gooch area has been very itchy especially at night. It sometimes takes me a long time to fall asleep. It feels moist sometimes and often bleeds when I wipe after I go to the bathroom. It does not seem to be a rash there just very sensitive/uncomfortable, every once in a while a bump will come up but disappear a few days later. I thought it could be hemmroids so I tried prep H and I've tried the goldbond itching relief stuff and nothing. I got tested about 3 weeks ago for stds and nothing. I'm very curious as to what the itching, the bleeding when I wipe, and the moisture is? Someone please help I'm too afraid to go to a doctor and have to say all this.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply antifungal agent

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
The symptoms you have, all point towards a fungal infection called candida.
This infection is quite common in the skin folds of body and can cause maceration of skin leading to moisture and oozing of fluid along with itching and sometimes even bleeding.
I would suggest that you should try an antifungal course for seven to ten days.
First keep the affected area clean and dry.
Apply an antifungal cream like canestan cream over the affected areas twice a day. Do not apply any other cream or oil over it .
Wear cotton undergarments so as to decrease sweating .
A fungal infection in this region may take ten to fourteen days to cure .
I am sure this treatment should help you.

However if the bleeding tends to persist or increase anytime in between, then you might need to be examined by a doctor in person to rule out hemorrhoids or any other problem.
But I would like to assure you that your symptoms do not look like any std.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Can canestan be used if im male. What about a cream called clotrimazole?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take clotrimazole cream

Detailed Answer:
Yes you can use clotrimazole cream over the affected areas twice a day as told before.

Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj