question-icon

Suggest treatment for ischemic colitis

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017
Question: Can I treat Ischemic colitis at home or should I go to the ER? And is using Ibuprofen a mistake with Ischemic colitis?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (17 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
See ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well, ischemic colitis is serious bowel disorder and this is not commonly seen in your age. Also,the diagnosis can be established only with CT angiography and colonoscopy, and it is difficult to diagnose it only by symptoms which are nonspecific in most cases and similar to any other type of colitis. However, if you already had it and symptoms are present despite dietary changes, then it would be good to see ER and do at least blood picture to see inflammatory markers.

Ibuprofen won't harm but may not be useful as well. If this is ischemic type then it would be better to take Andol100. But as I said,it would be good to see doctor, especially if fever, blood in stool,constant pain or abdominal guarding is present.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon