Suggest treatment for irritation in throat and feeling of something stuck in throat

Posted on Thu, 9 Apr 2015 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hi, My name is XXXXXXX I have throat problem from last 3 months. First it started with irritation in throat, and felt like something stuck in the throat, dryness in throat, discomfort while breathing. I went to ENT specialist, he performed endoscopy and the ENT specialist told it may be a acid reflux and prescribed Omeprazole. I am taking Omeprazole 40mg 1 tablet per day. But even after 2 months, no relief and symptoms are changing, then I went to GI specialist, she performed upper EGD and said every thing is fine and we are awaiting biopsy test results. Also, she recommended to visit an Allergy specialist. Now I have severe pain in my throat and ear when I speak. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Review of scopy images or video is necessary.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

Thank you for your query.

1. There is probably chronic pharyngitis. Is it possible to review a recording of the scopies?

2. The ear pain is usually referred pain from the throat (due to common nerve supply).

3. Acid reflux would have responded till now. Let me know the Biopsy report.

4. If you had the GI scopy recently, the pain may be due to this and should subside soon.

5. Start the anti allergic, a medicated gargle, an anti inflammatory, Mucaine Gel, and a gut motility enhancer (such as domperidone or levosulpiride). A bland diet and hydration is important.

6. A post nasal drip and mouth breathing at night would also worsen these symptoms.

7. A repeat laryngoscopy is advised if previous images or recordings are not available.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply Sir.

What could be the possible reason for this condition. I recently moved from XXXXXXX to USA. I never had this condition before. Is this because of winter?

I have visited general Physician, ENT specialists, GI specialist. All of them say everything looks normal. However, we are waiting for biopsy test results. In general, what will be diagnosied in biopsy tests?

As you mentioned, if this is a condition of chronic pharyngitis, then please let me know, in general, how long to may take to get cured.

And I assume that mine is not a condition of acid reflux.

Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Site/s of biposy? Rapid Urease Test?

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Does the EGD report mention from where the biopsy was taken? This will give an insight as to what may be expected in the result.

2. Also check if the Rapid Urease Test was done and if it was positive or negative. This test reveals h. pylori infection which may be the root of this problem. This would not respond to Omeprazole.

3. Get a USG (Ultrasound) Abdomen done to rule out a hiatus (sliding hernia).

4. I will need some images of the pharynx and larynx (throat and voice box) to comment on the treatment and recovery period. These are easily recorded on a videolaryngoscopy without the discomfort of an EGD.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
thanks for your answer sir.
Actually we don't have the images.we went 3 times to ENT specialist they checked and they showed to us .It was clean and normal not even a redness in my throat.then they told us that my throat ear nose are good.for the voice they asked us to go to voice therapy. they checked for a throat cancer also.but every thing was good then they asked to go to GI.now GI asked to go to allergist .from 3 months simply i m taking tablets i m not feeling normal at all.everything is normal it seems.this is a serious sir?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cannot be serious matter if all the endoscopies are normal.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. If all the endoscopies were within normal limits, this cannot be a serious matter.

2. This also means that these symptoms should settle down with medical therapy.

3. Voice therapy means that you also had hoarseness without any laryngeal changes? A Stroboscopy would be of immense value here.

4. Start the additional medication recommended in my first answer.

5. Check and upload your biopsy report and enquire about the Rapid Urease Test.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
thank you very much for your valuable suggestions.I really appriciate your help.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the suggestions in the previous answers.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Go though the details suggested in the above answers.

2. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

3. Do let me know the progress. You can follow up directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist