Suggest treatment for irritation in throat after using refresh eye drops

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have a question about drops I am using. I use Refresh four time a

day for dry eyes. I also use

Latanoprost Ophtlalmic once an evening for the beginnings of Glaucoma.

I have a very irritated throat since I started. Is it possible the

drops are routed someway that

they reach my throat and cause this?
Answered by Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes the drops are passing into throat.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Greetings from Dr Divakara P.

Yes your throat irritation is most likely due to passage of eye drops into your throat.

There is a duct called Nasolacrimal duct which connects the eyes to nose and through nose is connected to throat. Hence after application of eye drops it can pass into nose or throat.

If the throat irritation is mild then you can continue same medications. Just do salt water gargling after application of eye drops .

Buy if the throat irritation is bothering you a lot then you can ask for an alternative drug from your doctor

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarification feel free to ask.

Regards.