question-icon

Suggest treatment for irritant contact dermatitis on both lips

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: Hi, I have been experiencing itching red lips for the past week and a half after I used some lip plumping lip gloss. This has happened before, and my doctor prescribed mometasone furoate cream. It cleared up after using it 2x a day for a week. This time, I mistakenly used that same lip gloss again and the redness and peeling happened again. I tried to use the cream, but it's not working. My lips have swelled up, are extremely red, burn and itch like crazy. I went to urgent care and they told me to take benedryl and only use vaseline on my lips. Is there anything else I can do to stop the itching and burning? I was diagnosed previously with lip eczema. Is this what I have or does it sound like something else? I see tiny little bumps that are white on my lips. I'm very uncomfortable.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Irritant contact dermatitis most probably

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM...

I read history and saw photos, then came to conclusion that most probably you may be having irritant contact dermatitis on both lips. And as you said,it may be due to lip cream you applied. At present you are having itching,burning,peeling,swelling and discomfort. I can understand your concern for relapse of the disease. But, you should avoid to apply the lip gloss to prevent relapse.

I would suggest as follow...

- antihistaminic like levocetirizine tab till itch is relieved
- steroid tab in tappering dose for 2 weeks
- antibiotic like azithromycine 500 mg 6 days
- apply combined cream of mild steroid with antibiotic like fusibet cream

Have patience for the good result..

Still..You consult dermatologist to have firm diagnosis and perfect treatment.

Wishing you early recovery.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist