Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

163 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for irritable bowel syndrome

Answered by
Dr. Richa Agarwal


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3180 Questions

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I believe I have a Spigelian (or other ventral, possibly incisional from laperoscopic hysterectomy) hernia. I've had as yet unexplained digestive problems, constipation, much pain in lower right quadrant/abdomen. I thought it was fibroids, but after my hysterectomy, the pain got worse. I've tried P/T, massage, acupuncture, been through every GI and back scan under the sun. They cannot find anything.

I have had this bowel condition since 1986. It has only now become nearly unmanageable. I use medicinal marijuana to help with the pain. I lie on a heating pad 8-12 hrs a day.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should need some further investigation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
After seeing your symptoms and investigations, in my opinion you might be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome.
I have seen in so many cases, hysterectomy is performed for pain and patient is suffering from Irritable bowel syndrome ( IBS).
As such there is no specific investigation and treatment is available for this disease. Doctor rule out the other causes of pain and if other causes are ruled out and pain is still there then IBS is the cause of pain.
You can consult a gastroenterologist and get your colonoscopy test done.
You should take high fibre diet, drink a lot of water, use laxative and use antidepressants for your pain.
Please do not take marijuana for pain.
I think I have answered your query if you have further questions I will be happy to help you.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Acupuncture

doctor1 MD

the other day i was feeling a little nausea then dizzy and confused my hands were frozen and my face pale also extremely thirsty all this was followed by several bowel movements. I began to panic and continued to feel faint and my legs and body felt heavy, after this continuing for over an half hour the clerk and I consented to call the ambulance, by the time the emt showed up and checked all my vitals all was well. I ve been to an acupuncture and they have suggested it could be Vagal Reaciton...what do you think?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor,.. I ve been masturbating over 10 years.After these years,finally 3 three years back,I found that I lost my stability of my feet.I think this is paralysis of my feet due to irregular positions of masturbation like Indian toilet positioned masturbation..I ve tried allopathy,acupuncture and everything improved my stability only during my treatment period...later on as usual- poor stability of my feet... Can you please help me to get away from this poor stability problem?

doctor1 MD

Is it worth it to try hemp oil for pain and if so, what qualities should I be looking for?. Can you recommend a product. What makes the price differ so much?

doctor1 MD

I had a mirena iud inserted in 2008 after my son was born and a 2nd, five years later in 2013. 6 months after I had the mirena put in, i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia . The fibromyalgia flared in 2014 and again this year. For the past couple of...

doctor1 MD

Hello, in August, I fell on a wet sidewalk in Switzerland and landed very hard on my butt. I felt a surge go up my spine and into my head, and had a headache after. I flew back to the USA a few days after, still with an aching back/tailbone. At...

doctor1 MD

i am a 30 year old female anaesthesiologist...i had bouts of hair fall during stress in medical exams i dont have much hairfall problem but middle of my scalp is almost...i tried mintop 2 % BD for 6 mnths but no results...what do i do for new hair growth apart from invasive and costly treatments like acupuncture and stem cell therapy...will ozone treatment help? what about hair growth serums ? please counsel ...