Suggest treatment for irregular spots on torso region

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in General Health
Question: my 18 y/o daughter has had spots that look a little like bites on her torso only. not really itchy. spots are irregular shaped. larger ones have a different colored center, like there's a little fluid in them. covers whole area, not too close together.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like contact dermatitis, apply calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM
I have gone through your query and the pictures.
Based on the pictures it might be contact dermatitis. It might be due to clothes, or the detergent used might be responsible.

Presently I would suggest her to wash the area with water and using some mild soap like dermadew. Apply calamine lotion with alovera, it has soothing effect and decreases the itching.

I would like to know when it has started? Has she worn new cloths or used new detergent for washing the cloths?. Do other members of the family have similar complaint? Are there bed bugs in the house?

If itching increases in intensity then oral antihistamine like ceterizine can be taken.

If it is a contact dermatitis, it should clear by 3 to 4 days. If it persists or increases I would suggest you to see dermatologists for evaluation and further help.

Hope this helps

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
To follow up, no one else in the family has these symptoms. We haven't introduced a new detergent. There haven't been any new clothes or irritating fabrics worn. There are no bed bugs. The marks are not itchy. Would you still suggest calamine? We will keep an eye on them and reassess in a couple of days.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for couple of days and use calamine lotion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for providing the information.
I would suggest you to observe it for couple of days, before considering the medicines.
Present situation i would suggest you to use calamine lotion and also avoid scratching the rash to prevent secondary infection.
As suggested earlier if it increases, kindly see dermatologists.
Hope this helps.
Wish her speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad