Suggest treatment for irregular periods

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor, I had an irregular periods for 2 months. I went to hospital and did scan. It was known that i had PCOS. Doctor said that i have to take regular medicines for 6-9 months to make periods regular. i got scared and gone for temporary solution that i am taking medicine primolut, every month for 5 days to get periods. So i got confused and should i go for regular treatment?
And once i have regular tablets for 6-9 months, will my periods be regular afterwards?
Please help me for the same.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hormone pills are advisable in your case

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
Your doctor is right in prescribing you a regular pill intake and there are good chances that you may resume a normal pattern of periods after that.
The most important effect will be resumption of ovulation after leaving the medicine and once ovulation becomes regular, cycles are automatically regular.
Moreover these regular pills will stabilize the hormonal mileau of your body and thus adverse effects of this disturbed hormone profile will not harm the body.
So don't be scared and follow the advice of your doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Thanks for the reply doctor.

And will i get any pimples or acnes when i will be taking regular medicines for this PCOS? Because i will be getting married in another 6-7 months time and we have planned not to have baby for at-least 1 year.

Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
contraception benefits

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, that is even better because regular pills will give you contraceptive benefits too and thus will deal with both the issues.
Some people definitely get pimples after pills but they are due to the progesterone content which you are already taking in the form of primolut.
So if primolut is not giving you pimples then pills will not do it either.
And after leaving pills whenever you will plan for pregnancy it will be easier for you to conceive also.
So go for it and enjoy your married life to the fullest.