Suggest treatment for irregular heartbeats

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2017
Jan 2017
Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
hi. i keep getting a thump in my chest and i think my heart stops for a moment. about 10 months ago i uad a ekg and also a holiter moniter. the dr told me im fine and they are nothing to worry about but i am very worried. ive also had a ultrasound om the heart with in the last 12 months and all came back fine. i do smoke. but am really worried. any advice would be great. thank you
Tue, 29 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry, these are likely PVCs

Detailed Answer:
Likely possibility in you is presence of PVCs, premature ventricular complexes also called as extra beat. These gives one feeling of palpitations and there is pause after it which is gives a feeling of heart stopping.
Most the times, these are benign and not dangerous. Also, in your case as you have undergone evaluation, so other dangerous causes are ruled out. Its better if you can upload holter report so I can have a look at it and confirms the finding. These are increased and caused by smoking, excessive alcohol intake, excessive thyroid hormone levels, caffeine, stress etc. You should get thyroid profile done to rule out hyperthyroidism.
So overall, likelihood of serious issues is less. So on priority you need to gradually reduce and stop smoking. Till the time, I don't think you have any serious illness, but smoking with time can lead to all sort of serious illnesses.
After confirming this, you can have treatment for symptomatic benefit which is beta blockers like tab Metoprolol Xr 25 mg once a day, to be increased gradually.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for irregular heartbeats 9 hours later
they are the results from my test. if you could please take a look and let me know your thoughts and advise that would be great.

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, there are extra beats

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your reports, and there are extra beats which are originating from atria. These are benign and not worrisome.
For symptomatic benefit, you can get prescribed beta blocker like Tab Metolar XR 12.5 mg once a day from local doctor. Also, try to stop smoking. All the best.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for irregular heartbeats 32 minutes later
ok. so i shouldnt worry about heart attack stuff?

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not at all

Detailed Answer:
From the current symptoms and problems, this is not at all points towards heart attack, but smoking can certainly increases the risk of heart attack at any age. All the best and have healthy lifestyle.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for irregular heartbeats 8 minutes later
thank you so much

Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome