Suggest treatment for irregular heartbeat and shortness of breath

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have developed an irregular heartbeat over the last two days. The symptoms are a normal rate of beats, then a missed beat or two, then a double beat before returning to normal for a minute or two. Otherwise I am fit and healthy, and don't feel any particular discomfort or shortness of breath, no dizziness etc. I have not changed my diet in any way and eat healthily with a reasonable appetite. My intake of alcohol is limited to a glass of whiskey and lemonade before evening dinner, but I drink at no other times and don't drink any other alcohols.

My wife is an advanced Alzheimer's sufferer and needs constant care, so I have to be concerned about my own health and fitness.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, before concluding we need an EKG!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this irregular beat that you have reported. Please, the diagnosis of irregular beat is not made by examination. Examination raises a suspicion and we need at least an EKG to confirm this before asking further questions as to what the cause is and what treatment options we should consider for you.

For now, I will say be relaxed and do not conclude you have an irregular heartbeat. Talk to your primary care doctor and get an EKG. Depending on the results, we would be acting accordingly.

I understand you concerns and the need to be in good shape to look after your wife. I commend your efforts and stand by her for there is no more special way to show how how much she means to you than looking after her. Courage and my regards to her.

I hope this relieves your fears and provide information to act on. I wish you well and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Thanks for using our services.