Suggest treatment for irregular bowel movemnts

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: yes, the last 10 days I have had one regular stool in the morning and then 5-7 water stools the rest of the day... I normally have 3 good BM's a day and I'm very regular... Ive been enormously stressed and thought it was just the stress... I watch what I eat... should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be mild viral infection of gastrointestinal tract

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

If there has been no change in diet then it is possible that you may have a mild viral infection of the gastrointestinal tract.

This is a common cause of diarrhea (more than 3 bowel movements daily).

The main aspects of treatment are: (1) hold off solid food till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms

(2)make sure to use enough fluids to replace what is lost. The use of oral rehydration packets or sport drinks such as gatorade would be best because will give back both fluids and electrolytes

(3)probiotics either on their own or using yogurts with probiotics would help

(4)pepto bismol, may help as well

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Thank you:)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no problem

Detailed Answer:
HI

No problem, you can feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James