Suggest treatment for irregular bowel movements and associated constipation

Dr. Archana Verma

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Child Health
Question: Goodmorning Doc,
I am foster carer to a thirteen year old who does not have a bowel movement every day but when she does it literally fills up the bowl to overflowing and I would like to have a diagnosis for this since the GP is getting no background information from her social worker
Answered by Dr. Archana Verma 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use Naturolax or lactulose for regular bowel movements

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to the HCM

Irregular bowel movements and associated constipation can be the reason for such complaints. Also, associated stress and inadequate fluids and fibre in diet can aggravate the problem.

At the same time, it is important to rule out any associated infections and infestations such as worms, amoebiasis, hemorrhoids, fissures etc.

So, I would recommend you to give her a dose of secnidazole (1 gm at bedtime once) along with Tab. Albendazole(400 mg the next night). Ensure regular fibre rich diet and plenty of fluids orally. You may also start her on lactulose or naturolax if she has very hard stools. Avoid scoldings and punishments as it will aggravate the problems. Communicate in a healthy way.

Visit a surgeon to rule out fissures and hemorrhoids if she complaints of blood in stools..

Hopefully this will help her.