• question-icon

Suggest treatment for iron deficiency anemia

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is there a difference between anemia and iron deficiency anemia
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
iron deficiency anemia is one of the anemias

Detailed Answer:

anemia is a general term. Anemia can be caused by various disorders. Iron deficiency is one of them. Lack of iron prevents the bone marrow from producing adequate numbers of red blood cells with adequate quantity of hemoglobin and this is called iron deficiency anemia. It is corrected with iron supplementation but the cause of deficiency has to be found.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Please use your follow-up questions if you need more details.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
so after a blood test from my pc doctor they said I was not anemic but when I looked at the lab results the FE line was not there like they didn't order it. I have this anemias for going on 10 years so I know the symptoms. what should I ask the doctor to day about the blood test
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please upload the test reports

Detailed Answer:
It will greatly help me to understand your situation if you upload the test reports. You can either scan them and upload them or take a photo (with your cell phone or any camera that connects to the PC) and upload it. You can upload it using the interface of healthcaremagic or upload them elsewhere and just provide the link to me.

If you don't have anemia then it's very unlikely that your iron is not enough. We usually check the iron and ferritin levels when the hematocrit is lower than it used to be. There are other indicators of iron deficiency as well like the MCV (mean corpuscular volume) which gets to lower levels when iron is lacking. Any value lower than 80fL is low and any value that is lower than previous values is also considered to be low.

I'll be more specific when you send me the reports...
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis