Suggest treatment for intracranial hypertension

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was just diagnosed with Intracranial Hypertension. Are there any supplements that I should be taking? ie: potassium. Is it real common to get kidney stones and how can I help that?

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood tests to evaluate electrolytes levels should be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Acetazolamide that you are talking currently is the first step in treating intracranial hypertension.

In some cases use of Acetazolamide may cause electrolytes dysbalances such hypokalemia and hyponatremia.

Acetazolamide should be used carefully in cases of liver and kidney dysfunction.

So, if there is need for supplements or not, first blood tests to evaluate electrolytes levels should be done.

Kidney stones may or may not cause kidney function impairment, so there is need also for blood tests to evaluate this condition ( blood urea, creatinine clearance etc.).

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj