Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for intertrigo on buttocks

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Hello,I am a 30 year old Male. I live in Indiana. Since Dec 2013,I have been having slight anal itching. I visited India on vacation and saw a Doctor out there. I am slightly obese,hence my doctor said that it is slight fungal infection since my Buttocks are close to each other. He prescribed my an ointment and some anti fungal infection powder. He also advised me to work on my weight loss. I have been applying the powder regularly. The minor abscess or fissure that I had also subsided. I returned back on 1/23. I felt better after using the powder. Now today morning, I felt the abscess had developed again and I felt slight fever. However,within 2 hours,I felt completely better. Again,I have no weight loss and my appetite is normal. Should I go for colonoscopy? Please advise,thanks.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You could be having intertrigo Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. From the description and treatment provided, it seems you had intertrigo. Intertrigo presents itself as a macerated red rash. It occurs in areas prone to friction, trapped moisture or sweat and warmth as fungus or bacteria thrives well in such areas. Excessive itching in this area can cause bleeding too due to scratching. As excessive weight leads to increased friction so chances of getting intertrigo increases. Now coming to your question specifically, you do not need colonoscopy straight away. Firstly we have to see whats the cause of the "abscess" or the lesion and if bleeding is due to local trauma or some internal cause. In you case bleeding could be due to abrasions formed due to scratching or due to anal fissures( usually presents as painful defecation and constipation) or piles. This to some extent can be ruled out first by clinical examination of the area. Intertrigo in anal area doesnot resolve easily. You need to keep the area dry and use the antifungal powder provided by your doctor. Also a combination of steroid antibiotic antifungal cream helps. For the same you may mix hydrocortisone, mupirocin, clotrimazole and apply. Sometimes a course of antifungal should be given too for better response. Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for intertrigo on buttocks 56 minutes later
Secondly, I would like to ask this-What category of Doctors do I go to? Will a Urologist/Dermatologist examine me? Or I need to find a Proctologist.thanks
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 hours later
Brief Answer: you may visit a general surgeon Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. It would be better, if you visit a general surgeon as he would be able to look for all the causes of anal pruritus including surgical causes like fissure, piles or fistula etc. A dermatologist can treat anal pruritus if the cause is extrinsic and not surgical. Hope this helped. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for intertrigo on buttocks 2 hours later
Thanks again Doctor
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 days later
Brief Answer: you may close the query Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Should there be no further query, please close the discussion. You may activate the same link in future for further correspondence, if at all it is required. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor