Suggest treatment for interstitial cystitis

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I had a cystoscope done during which the doctor stretched the bladder. Is this treatment effective in preventing further flare ups of this painful condition? How can I tell when there is a urinary tract infection instead of this condition? I recently had a urinary tract infection which I let go on too long without treatment and as a result I had a kidney infection which spread to the blood. Can you give me any advice on how to cope with this condition?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can do a urine dipstix by yourself to diagnose UTI

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for contacting Healthcaremagic.

The cystoscopy and bladder stretching itself helps only a minority of patients that too only temporarily for few weeks to few months, but the main reason for performing cystoscopy and bladder stretching is to diagnose interstitial cystitis and also to assess its severity.

The mainstay of treatment will be instillation of chemicals into bladder on a weekly basis that many patients have reported to be helpful. Please discuss this with your urologist.

As the symptoms of interstitial cystitis can be similiar to UTI (urinary tract infection), I would advice to get an urine dipstick and keeping it at home and perform a urine dipstick whenever you feel you have a flare up of symptoms. If there are nitrites or plenty of pus cells then contact your doctor for formal urine testing and possibly antibiotics.

Hope that answers your query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Answered by
Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan


Practicing since :1994

Answered : 299 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Kidney infection

doctor1 MD

son in law is having night sweats where he soaks the bed, and it also happens during the day. he has low back pain, doesn't feel like eating much...

doctor1 MD

Ive only taken2 bactrim pills for a kidney infection and my pinky finger is red super hot and swollen and I have a few blotchy spots on my body. Im...

doctor1 MD

Hello for the past year I have had tenable headaches... i was referred to a specialist and brain scan came back normal... i I haven t like I have...

doctor1 MD

I have been peeing excessively. I went to the immediate care and they thought I either had a bladder, uti, or kidney infection. They gave me a 5...

doctor1 MD

I hava had chronic back pain for the last 25 years. My doctor performed a lumbar fusion in 1992. During the last 2 months, I have had severe...

doctor1 MD

My urine is very pungent and cloudy And very yello all of a sudden. I know that I don’t have a urinary track infection and I know that I don’t have...

doctor1 MD

My 31 year old son in law has a mystery illness that resulted in two hospitalizations. It started out with a kidney infection and horrible toe pain...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction