Suggest treatment for interstitial cystitis

Posted on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. I had a cystoscope done during which the doctor stretched the bladder. Is this treatment effective in preventing further flare ups of this painful condition? How can I tell when there is a urinary tract infection instead of this condition? I recently had a urinary tract infection which I let go on too long without treatment and as a result I had a kidney infection which spread to the blood. Can you give me any advice on how to cope with this condition?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can do a urine dipstix by yourself to diagnose UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX

Thank you for contacting Healthcaremagic.

The cystoscopy and bladder stretching itself helps only a minority of patients that too only temporarily for few weeks to few months, but the main reason for performing cystoscopy and bladder stretching is to diagnose interstitial cystitis and also to assess its severity.

The mainstay of treatment will be instillation of chemicals into bladder on a weekly basis that many patients have reported to be helpful. Please discuss this with your urologist.

As the symptoms of interstitial cystitis can be similiar to UTI (urinary tract infection), I would advice to get an urine dipstick and keeping it at home and perform a urine dipstick whenever you feel you have a flare up of symptoms. If there are nitrites or plenty of pus cells then contact your doctor for formal urine testing and possibly antibiotics.

Hope that answers your query
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Suresh Radhakrishnan

Urologist