Suggest treatment for interstitial cystitis

Posted on Thu, 2 Apr 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi, my name is XXXX. I have been diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis 4 years ago, but it was a condition I was born with. I know it is rare. It's just my luck. I am currently 25 years old. For the past week and a half I have been experiencing major pain everyday, my urine has been smelling off, & I have blood in my urine as well. Should I go to an urgent care or emergency room? I have had bladder infections before, but they have never felt like this. Plus, I have not had one since I was diagnosed with I.C. Please help me . . . .
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You seem to have super added UTI

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are known to have Interstitial Cystitis since birth and now have Hematuria.Dysuria since one week.

This is mostly due to super added over I.C..

Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.
Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefiexime along with urinary
antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily.Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist