Suggest treatment for interstitial cystitis

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 24 Mar 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: My daughter has been told that she has interstitial Cystitis. Is there something she can do to cure this?
Thank you so much,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....it is a chronic inflammatory disorder of bladder with no reliable treatment however the symptoms can be managed well.
Detailed answer..
I have read your query and understand your concern.
IC is a chronic inflammatory condition of bladder with scarring and stiffening of bladder resulting in symptoms like pain in voiding,urgency,increased frequency of micturition and is most commonly found in women.
Unfortunately there is no permanent  cure of this condition and goal of treatment is to relieve your symptoms.
Not everyone responds to the treatment in same way and treatment has to be devised and decided by the treating doctor.
Various modalities of treatment include..
Bladder instillation,bladder distension,electrical nerve stimulation,oral drugs etc.
Such treatments may take weeks to respond and treatment has to be extended continuously because of chronic nature of condition.
Other things which can be worked are exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles,taking care of diet and regular voiding of urine at regular intervals.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta