• question-icon

Suggest treatment for internal bleeding after an accident

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Lump
Question: My brother is bleeding intremally. He was in a car accident 2001 and has been bleeding internally since. No dr has been able to find where the bleeding is coming from. He currently lives in Rogerson, ID. He is unable to work and has had two transfusions since 2010. Is there a physician in UT who might help?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may not be related to the accident

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

It is not likely that there is constant bleeding ever since this accident.

The accident usually causes tears in intraabdominal organs and this is bleeding which may be fatal during the first few hours and days after surgery.

However, later on, and especially after so many years, it is not likely that there is still some bleeding from liver or spleen.

Please also note that, 2 transfusions are not something critical.
But if there is constantly low red blood count and other causes of anemia are ruled out then he should do:
1. Repeat colonoscopy, gastroscopy - which you said is already done before
2. Scintigraphy or angiography- this may detect bleeding inside the colon or in pelvic cavity
3. Other causes of internal bleeding such as liver dysfunction or kidney dysfunction should also be checked.

If all these tests are fine, then he should see a hematologist who will recommend more detailed and sophisticated testing.

Feel free to ask further.
Wish him a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon