• question-icon

Suggest treatment for intermittent stomach pain and diarrhea

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 4 year old has had an intermittent stomach ache for the past week, watery, powdery diarrhea that comes and goes (accompanied by semi formed yellow colored stool).
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to gastroenteritis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. It seems that your child has an episode of gastroenteritis. It could be due to contaminated food or improper hand hygiene.

You may give Lanzol Junior for the next few days. Please be patient. But if the child grows lethargic you would have to rush him to the hospital. Monitor the urine output. If it is reduced you would need to increase the fluid intake and if that does not suffice you might need to visit the hospital.

You may need to give your child some antiemetic like ondansetron as and when needed, especially before feeds (15 min-30 min prior to feeds). The mainstay of treatment is ORS (oral rehydration solution). Unless the lost salts and fluids are replenished the child would become dehydrated. The urine output needs to be monitored. If the frequency comes down it indicates dehydration and calls for additional supplementation of fluids. But if the child becomes lethargic you would need to take the child to a hospital without delay.

Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 5 ml once daily for the next 10 days. You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal. Also give curd or yogurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help.

The vomiting and loose stools may persist for a couple of days before it resolves. Please be patient. Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician