Suggest treatment for intermittent severe shoulder pain

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 3 Nov 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having a pain on my left shoulder continuously for more than a week. Sometimes the pain is not there but whenever am riding the bike(which cannot be avoided) its increasing. But there is always a pain and its becoming unbearable. I go to gym but that's not the reason here cause it started suddenly one morning when I was sleeping.
Please do provide me a solution.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Description below.

Detailed Answer:

The pain in the shoulder like you are having can be due to tendonitis- inflammation of the rotator cuff or due to a muscle sprain or a labral tear.
The exact diagnosis can be made only after an MRI scan of the shoulder.

In most of the cases conservative treatment helps in complete recovery. Local steroid injections nay be needed to decrease the inflammation.
Avoid doing any painful movements or exercises specially push ups.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:

1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.
2) Apply hot compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer .
Non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like Motrin, ibuprofen, or Aleve can help with pain control and decrease inflammation.
Activities that cause symptoms should be avoided. A physical therapy program that focuses on establishing non-painful shoulder motion and strengthening of the shoulder muscles will also be helpful.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.