Suggest treatment for intense epigastric pain, abdominal pain and backache

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have been on Vyvance for about 6 weeks. Four weeks ago, I developed intense epigastric pan, abdominal pain and backache. I got 90% better, but the epigastric pain persists. It sometimes wakes me up at 2am, 4am, etc. What is going on? I feel like Flowers for Algernon.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I completely understand and here is what I think and suggest

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. There are two possibilities with your current presentation ma'am:

1. Side effects of vyvanse which have progressed and reached a point where we should suspect conditions like hyperacidity, gastric ulcers, acid reflux, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), etc.

2. Some underlying condition that was previously present but aggravated by the vyvanse.

With either scenario, I would strongly recommend a visit to your doctor to confirm/rule out conditions like:

+Gastric ulcers
+Gastritis
+Hyperacidity
+GERD
+Acid reflux

Please do consider getting an upper GI endoscopy, blood profile, and 24-acid monitoring done to help confirm the diagnosis and accordingly initiate treatment, but in the meantime, please consider following these suggestions:

+Do not overeat
+Lose weight if you are overweight or obese
+Avoid smoking
+Have 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones
+Drink plenty of water
+Avoid alcohol
+Avoid fatty/fried/oily food
+Avoid spicy food
+Avoid carbonated drinks
+Avoid stress
+Finish your last meal (dinner) at least 2-3 hours before dinner
+Avoid strenuous exercise
+Use medications like omeprazole or pantoprazole to help reduce acid levels in your stomach

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan