Suggest treatment for insomnia

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I would like to no what to do about my sleep issues.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

I request you to provide following details.
1. How long the sleep problem is there
2. How much time you take to have sleep after retiring to bed
3. Do you have frequent night awakening? If yes how long it takes to fall back to sleep?
4. Do you awake early these days in compare to past
5. How many hours you sleep in day
6. How many hours you sleep in 24 hours time on average
7. Do you have any more symptoms, if yes details please
8. Have you tried any medication? If yes details please
9. Are you diagnosed with any medical or psychiatric condition?

I look forward to get relevant details to suggest you the best option as per your needs.

I must inform you that if you find it difficult to answer all the questions accurately a one time option of phenargan 25 can be used for time being. It is over the counter medication and you will not need prescription.

Wish you great health ahead.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 22 minutes later
1 hr to 2 hrs to get to sleep I awake early, I wake 3 to 5 times per night, sleep 3 to 5 hrs per night, did use lorazepam and escitalopram but didn't like the way it affected me, head aches, little dizziness, some anxiety to probably.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

From the available description it appears to me that your sleep problem is result of anxiousness which is manifested by frequent breaks in sleep ad delayed onset of sleep.

Although escitalopram is good option considering your profile if it is not suiting you, you can request your doctor to prescribe mirtazapine.
This is antidepressant which have good antianxiety as well as sedation properties.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.