Suggest treatment for insomnia

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I am trying to find out what's best for my troubles sleeping.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide me more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Please elaborate the problem in detail. Since how many days you are having this problem?

Any significant stress that is disturbing sleep?

Any history of depression or anxiety disorder?

Any treatment taken and side effects with drugs?

Do you have problem in going to sleep or there are multiple awakenings in night?

Thanks. Please provide me details in follow up question.
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 minutes later
10 months lost my loved one! I have had troubles before when a tragic incident occurs.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benzodiazepines can be used on SOS basis for sleep.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I am sorry about your loss. Due to significant stress you are not sleeping well. Medicines like benzodiazepines can be used for sleep in your case. Clonazepam or Alprazolam or Lorazepam etc are commonly used. The drugs will reduce significant anxiety and stress and will aid in sound sleep.

But these drugs should be used for short term only. Regular use is known to result in dependence. OTC drugs like Benadryl can be used for sleep too but are not very potent.

You can talk with your doctor for these drugs.

Thanks. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 7 minutes later
How much benadryl can you use?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Benadryl can help in 50 mg dose.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Benadryl in 25-50 mg dose helps in sleep. You can try 50 mg dose for some time and this will improve your sleep.

Thanks.