Suggest treatment for insomnia

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I have difficulty sleeping ... can you help me? I am in need of an updated prescription for Ambien / Zolpidem. I have no outstanding health problems other than sleepless nights and subsequent sluggish days. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
try sleep hygiene, provide more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

Insomnia (sleep disturbance) is of two types:

Primary: There is problem of only sleep disturbance and no other physical or psychological problem is there. In this case treatment for sleep problem is needed.

Secondary: There is some underlying physical or psychological problem which is responsible for sleep disturbance. In this, main treatment is done for underlying problem.

First of all try to follow some measures called 'sleep hygiene' which would help in sleep. You can find the same in below link.

sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

Drinking a cup of warm milk before going to bed helps in 30-40% of patients and they do not need medicines as per my clinical experience.

As such drugs from benzodiazepine group and Z group sedatives (ambien/zolpidem) are used in sleep disturbance. But all are prescription medicines and you need to consult doctor for prescription. I am sorry that online prescription is not valid. Anti-histaminic and melatonin are also used sometime when sleep problem is not severe.

Let me know more so I can guide you further.

- Since when are you suffering from sleep disturbance?

- What is type of sleep disturbance there? Is there difficulty in sleep onset, fragmentation of sleep or early morning awakening?

- What was the schedule (timing) and duration of sleep before the problem started? How much reduction in sleep hours is there from previous?

- Do you have any type of stress (it can be social, economical, relationship, study/work or emotional)?

- Do you have any physical illness?

- How was the response with Ambien in your case and at which dose? Have you tried any other medicine?

I will be happy to help further after your response.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj