Suggest treatment for insomnia while on Melatonin and Benadryl

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have a serious problem with my sleeping.
Should I consult a sleep Doctor?
I have been taken Melatonin and Benadryl. Now I have been told about UNISOM.Which one is the best?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unisom is a good sleep medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking

UNISOM consists of Doxylamine and is a good drug for sleep. If you are not seeing improvement with Benadryl or Melatonin then you can give UNISOM a try. The drug is OTC drug and is safe to use.

If sleep doesn't improve after that then you should consult a sleep specialist for opinion. If your doctor agrees then Ziprasidone can be changed and other antipsychotic drugs like Olanzapine or Quetiapine can be tried. These drugs help in good sleep apart from their actions on psychotic and mood symptoms.

Thanks. Take care

You are welcome to ask follow up doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad