question-icon

Suggest treatment for insomnia and severe tiredness

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017
Question: Hi, I have not been able to sleep properly for about 2 weeks now. I am extremely tired but cant seem to switch off and fall asleep. Is there anything you could recommend? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kampana (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Try home remedies or visit a sleep therapist.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. There are many causes for inability to sleep like stress, travel, grief, hyperthyroidism, irregular sleep schedule, napping, drinking caffeinated beverages late in the day, eating sugary foods or heavy meals, alcohol too close to bedtime, and not getting enough exercise are all examples of daytime habits that can impact your ability to sleep at night.

I would suggest you to try:

- Take out at least 30 minutes of wind-down time before bed in which you do something relaxing, such as reading a book. Dim the lights in your house slightly for an hour or so before bed.

- Disconnect from close-range electronic devices such as laptops, phones, and tablets, as the light from their screens can alert the brain and make it harder to fall asleep.

- Deep breathing exercises.

- Don’t try to force yourself to sleep. Tossing and turning only increases the anxiety. Get up, leave the bedroom, and do something relaxing, such as reading, drinking a cup of herbal tea, or taking a bath. When you’re sleepy, go back to bed.

- You can try melatonin tablets (Zytonin) 3 mg every night after food for 15 days.

If your insomnia persists or worsens, it is best to meet a physician or sleep therapist for a detailed examination and treatment.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Kampana