Suggest treatment for insomnia and low energy after gastric bypass surgery

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello,

I had gastric bypass 2 months ago and have felt pretty sick since. I just don't feel well, have very low energy, have insomnia punctuated with periods in which I could sleep for days. I have lost 62 pounds, my hair falling out, my skin is itchy all over. In the past few days I have experienced lower back pain. No matter how slowly I eat, or how well I chew my food, I still suffer with horrible nausea (sometimes vomiting) and stomach aches that last for hours. I'm just miserable! I have both contacted and been to my surgeon several times. Each time, they tell me that it will take time to resolve or that I'm eating incorrectly. I just want to feel better and I don't know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to start the remedies for managing this issue.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you!

Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully worked through your case, and I can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I assure you not to worry as I will take care all of your medical concerns.

Probable Reason:-
Indigestion due to the recent gastric surgery. The problem isn't with the chewing or eating properly, it is rather with your stomach which isn't getting back in to optimal work as it was before surgery. But don't scare as this is not irreversible issue. It has definite cure and it will take a little while for stomach to kick back in. For that time we need to help the stomach and digestive system with supplementation.

Management:- (You may need a prescription from your physician, where applicable):-

Take water before meals, neither in between nor after the meals.
Take Levosulpiride + Rabeprazole before every meal. It will help support your digestive system.
Take Citrucel Dietary Fibers Supplement to aid in getting better motility and bulk of the food materials. It will also control the symptoms you have right now.
Take Ondansetron for relief of the nausea and vomiting. It will help you in the days of trouble until your stomach will know how to cope with the things. Take small meals at intervals and try hard to take food at the fixed times everyday. Your sleep will also improve if you take meals (dinner) at least 2-3 hours before going to bed.
Keep yourself active as activity improves stomach and intestinal motility and better churning movements of the stomach confirms better digestion. Same is true for better peristaltic movements of the intestines needed for proper assimilation of nutrients into the blood through intestinal walls.
Take more of high fiber diet and less refined grains. Whole grains are needed for you.
No spices, no added salts and sugars.
No caffeinated drinks, energy drinks and beverages etc.
No fast, junk and fried foods.

Hope I answered all of your health concerns . If you have further questions, feel free to contact me anytime. Always write my name in start of your question in future, and I will get back to you in no time. If satisfied, please give your generous 'five Star rating' and don't forget to 'Close the discussion'.

Have a wonderful time ahead.

Best Regards!
DR. HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T