Owl Image

Suggest treatment for insect bite

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have what I think is an insect bite on my back redness is a large area of about 3-4" that itches but not swollen. Symptoms appear later in the day that are flu like. Advil seems to help the hot and clod spells. I'm not sure if this this the problem or not, but all I want to do is sleep after arriving home from work.
Can you think of anything that could cause something like this?
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the spot and the related problems.

In view to help you best I request you to kindly upload pictures of the affected area.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-DERMATOLOGY

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for insect bite 10 hours later
It is impossible to take a picture of my back. I will go to my own doctor for him to check
Thank you for your time

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Requested to kinldy see the suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

Welcome to the forum again and thanks for your follow up.

I first of all beg your pardon for troubling you for sending pictures. It was just to confirm the diagnosis and to see the extent and severity of condition and accordingly the best suggestions which I can provide. In dermatology it is utmost importance to see the exact condition and provide best suggestions accordingly.

Mam, I again humbly feel sorry for this unnecessary trouble.

Anyhow, keeping a possibility of insect bite or related thing let me suggest you certain important things:

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Do cold compression or warm water compresses according to the weather condition.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Take two times bath.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours. preferably stay in air conditioned environment away from heat and humidity.

For the presumptive treatment:

1. In my patients I suggest them to apply "hydrocortisone cream" over the affected area. Apply in a very thin layer so that it should not be visible to naked eye. You can apply it for 7 days and then stop it after that.

2. In most of the cases I prefer to give paracetamol(Crocin) rather than Advil (ibuprofen). It is because paracetamol is more safe than Advil (ibuprofen).

3. If there is any irritation or itching is present then I prefer tablet “Loratadine” or "Deslotatadine" (Claritin) tablet by mouth up to 2 times for as long as the itching is present.

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases)