question-icon

Suggest treatment for insect bite

Posted on Mon, 28 Jul 2014
Question: I have a bite on my neck the came from a bug that was sort of red with a black tail end and it had wings. it left 2 red dots that look like a semi-colon. I need to know what it is and how to treat it.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Insect bite dermatitis

Detailed Answer:

I would not be able to identify the bug that bit you. This forum doesn't have entomologist who can help you identify that bug. However as a practising dermatologist I can help you treat this problem.

You gave history of bite by insect. You developed erythematous rash at the site of bite. You did not mention about any symptom like itching,burning or pain. I think that would be there in less severity.

I usually suggest following line of treatment in patients having such problem..

- a short course of antibiotic like azithromycine 500 mg in morning for 1 week
- a course of steroid methyl prednesolone in tappering dose for 2 weeks ..4mg thrice a day for 5 days,then twice a day for 5 days then once a day for 5 days then to stop.
- an antihistaminic like levocetirizine 5 mg at night,if you have itching.
- application of antibiotic with mild steroid cream like fusidic acid with fluticasone cream.

I think this would be helpful to you. But take treatment under observation of nearby dermatologist.

Hope you recover soon. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Thanks.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist