Suggest treatment for inner ear infection

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Had an inner ear infection for the first time. Doctor gave me antibiotics (can't remember what kind)
pain went away but ears are always full
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
When were you treated for this ear infection ?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for using our services.

Feeling of fullness after an ear infection is not uncommon. This results from blockage of the tubes that allow for communication between the ear and the back of the throat. This only calls for additional and aggressive investigations if it fails to resolve within a few weeks and shows no regression.

If this was a recent issue and not getting any worse, I’d suggest to please be patient for the time being and hopefully this will resolve spontaneously. In the interim, try swallowing, yawning or chewing sugar-free gum to open your eustachian tubes.

If this doesn't work, take a deep breath and try to blow out of your nose gently while pinching your nostrils closed and keeping your mouth shut. If you hear a popping noise, you know you have succeeded. You could also try decongestants or instill steroids into the nasal passages to help relief these.

If these measures fail, then we would want to first examine the ears and then maybe do hearing tests if need be.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.
Feel free to follow up with me and ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee