Suggest treatment for inner ear infection

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Ive had an inner ear infection from a virus. I've had 2 different types of antibiotics now. The pain has gone away, but Im very deaf in my left ear. Should I go back to the doctors, or will this heal itself or will this ear always be deaf?
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to healthcaremagic,

Ear infection can take upto 6 weeks to settle down completely. So some amount of deafness can persist even after the infection has come under control since fluid in the ear can persist for weeks after infection subsides.

You can use decongestant nose drops like otrivin. It helps to keep the Eustachian tubes open and helps to drain the ears. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day and follow it up with steam inhalation for 6 days.

See a doctor if the deafness persists.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi (MS ENT)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E