Suggest treatment for injury to achilles tendon

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 17 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I hyper extended my right achilles tendon 2 wks ago. I have been icing it, soaking it in epsom salts and wearing an ankle brace. It seems to be slowly healing.Is there anything else should I do?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid weight bearing on it.

Detailed Answer:
An injured achilles tendon needs 3-4 weeks of rest for proper healing. You need to avoid weight bearing on the foot and keep it elevated on two pillows. In case there is any swelling then do get an X-ray done to rule out any bone injury.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Thank you for your expedient response Dr. Tayal.
The area around my ankle tends to swell up if I am on my feet for any extended period of time (30 minutes). However it does respond to icing elevation and soaking. The pain I feel is mostly compensatory i.e. in the calves or during acute swelling due to to my hobbling about. Nothing too intense perhaps a pain level 2.

I will try to stay off it as much as I can but I do train horses which requires some prolonged standing.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid standing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
It is best to stay off your feet for 7-10days and take rest. The pain will subside with swelling.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.