Suggest treatment for injury on nipples

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Fri, 17 Oct 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had an injury to my left nipple late last year.

The nipple got swollen external and there was a pus formed externally and then the wond broke and then bllod started discharging from the nipple. Presumably from infection. Took some antibiotics for 2 months and the wound reduced but the blood discharge was coming out and to ensure that the dress iw as wering doesnt stain i used to press and squeeze out blood once in morning and once in the evening... Then all of a sudden the blood discharge stopped. but there was a hard plate like mass below my nipple. It has been there for the past 6 months or so. It has not grown but it is still there just as a flat plate. It moves around quite a bit. wanted to check what it could be.

The flat plate like stuff moves around quite well. No other changes to the breast per say. No other symptoms... if i press it hard it pains and the pain from the press remians for a day or so and goes away. The plat is 2cms x 1cm in size and does seem to be thick.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get sonomammography and xray mammography done.

Detailed Answer:

The plate like thing is likely to be a fibrotic band presenting like a lump.Fibrosis is commonly seen after infections in breast.

To confirm you can get sonomammography done and if after that needed get xray mammography done.

This is sure way to know what it is.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Do you suspect any malignancy here or nothing to worry about it?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Since it has not grown, its not cancerous.

Detailed Answer:
Since it has not grown, its not cancerous.Also plate like shape is not seen in cancerous lesions.

Both these investigations will also help to rule out cancer, though unlikely.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Thanks and really appreciate the response. Do you think it may warrant surgery to remove or medication would do... Yes this plate like structure was there for atleast 6 months and of the same....
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Since it is fibrosis, surgery won't be justified.As surgery itself will result in fibrosis later.

Medications cannot help it resolve.So it is something that will be there life long.

Its like skin scars we get.If we operate for them still we will have scars.

So ideal would be get it evaluated and then keep watch on it.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later
Ok Thanks. I also presume it is unwise to keep pressing it and damaging it further right? Would this go over time?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may shrink , but will be there.

Detailed Answer:

It may shrink , but will be there.

Yes, leave it as it is.Dont press it.

Keep watch on it.You can maintain a diary about its size, how it is felt, overlying skin and pain intensity.

This can help your doctor in future.

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
ok. Thanks. I have been watching it since April. It is approx 2 cms x 2 cms all along.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Do keeping watching it.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 1 minute later
Would it grow? Would it give some pain?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it won't grow.

Detailed Answer:
No, it won't grow, unless it gets infected. Or rarely if it turns cancerous.Dont worry about cancer much, it is just more of statistical.