Suggest treatment for injury on Achilles' tendon

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I injured my Achilles' tendon area 2 months ago. ( a heavy door closed on the back of my foot)
I had a large bruise, which is completely healed now, but it itches! What is causing this itching? What can I do about it?

The following day after injuring my Achilles area ( right foot)... I fell and hurt my left foot... Big toe specifically. I believe it was broken or fractured... It's been two months, but my big toe still hurts a lot if it is bent down. Why is it not healing?

Sorry for the two part question, but they are closely related subjects. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to local irritation or allergy in the area.

Detailed Answer:

Itching in the area is most likely due to local irritation or allergy in the area. Taking anti-allergic for few days might be helpful.

Pain in big toe during movement is likely due to ligament injury or stiffness in the area. The healing period depends on the cause. Further the type of treatment applied also has effect on healing. Therefore I will order for X-ray of the affected area. This will help me understand the status of healing. Please visit your local doctor for X-ray.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later
I already take anti-allergy pills! This medication has zero effect on my Achilles' tendon. Any other thoughts as to why it would itch? There is no visible injury or rash.
I will go to my PCP and Ask for an X-ray of my toe on the other foot.

This is not related ( I don't think anyway) but the palms of my hand itch also!... Not constantly, but almost every day...it itches Intensely and it stops only after I Scratch a LOT oR use a cold compress for a while. What are your thoughts on this? No visible rash, redness, injury, etc. no new soaps or lotions, etc.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Indicate the healing process.

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam,

Itching over your achilles tendon area might indicate the healing process in the area.
Itchy palms with no rash or redness can be due to dry skin per se. You can apply a good moisturizer on hands for dryness and relief.
I also suggest you to get the liver enzymes checked, sometimes whenever there is derangement of the liver enzymes you can be having this itching in the limbs.