Suggest treatment for inhalation of grain of rice by a 2 year old
Highly recommended to consult with pulmonologist/or go to ER...
I am sorry for the accident your 2 year old has gone through. If you are sure that she inhaled a grain of rice while eating, I highly recommend to consult with a pulmonologist. A chest X-ray might be required to localize the grain.
Pulmonary endoscopy might be required to pull the grain off her airways. We can't leave the grain there as it will cause your infant to be prone of pneumonia easily.
Grain itself will cause pneumonia too.
So, highly recommended to consult with pulmonologist or run to ER as soon as possible although she is not having any symptom. Explain to ER team that your daughter has inhaled the grain of rice and they will do their job.
Hope it was of help!
I am not sure the grain of rice was inhaled into her lung. I heard the grain of rice get inhaled while she was crying, like a suction into her throat but I cannot be hundred percent sure it went into her air passage. This is why I am asking if there are symptoms to look out for. She has behaved normally since the incident. Singing and dancing before bed. No breathing difficulties.
Following symptoms to observe...
Hi back my dear XXXXX,
Sometimes, when foreign bodies with the size of a grain of rice will get undetected and usually children behave normally. Problems will come if there will be reorganization of tissue around the foreign body and signs of pneumonia will occur:
- breathing difficulties
- sometimes, fever
They mimic cold/bronchitis clinical presentation.
Sometimes, these symptoms won't happen immediately after accidental aspiration but after a few days to weeks.
Once again, to make sure she has not aspirated any grain accidentally, you can discuss with her pediatrician to run chest X-ray or even bronchoscopy.
Hope it cleared up your doubts!
Ok, let me know then...
Hi back my dear,
You are most welcome.
Let me know then how it goes.
I hope she has not aspirated anything and is fine.
All the best!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for bleach and urin inhaled
- Suggest treatment for allaergy due to bleach fumes inhalation
- Treatment and cure for Inhalant abuse
- Treatment for bleach inhalation
- Combivent inhalation treatment
- Treatment bleach accidental inhalation
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea in 2 year old
- Chlorine gas inhalation treatment
- Inhaling bleach fumes treatment
- Kerosene inhalation treatment
- May have a mild attack of gout. Red and swollen. Uric acid was slightly...
- Over weight. Having lot of hair on face. What can be wrong?
- What are the chances of getting diabetes for a person having chronic...
- Child having hair loss, unable to gain weight and sweating. Had a blood...
- Took 5 mg of propranolol. Will there be any side effects?
- Itching sensation all over body. Noticed blood under tongue. Are they...
- Having mild to moderate pain after root canal treatment. Could this be...
- Have diarrhoea and diagnosed with Cryptosporidiosis. Anything serious?
- Pain in left thigh, testicular pain, dizziness and nausea. Pain radiates...
- Taking nexium and having stomach upset. How long should I take nexium?