Suggest treatment for ingrown hair in the vaginal area

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello! So have recently started waxing my bikini area. The first couple times were fine, but now I have began to develop so many ingrown hairs. In particular I have an in grown hair that is trapped under the skin resulting in a pea sized cyst that has been there for two and a half weeks now. It has only gotten a little smaller from when it first developed. Should I go to the doctor and have the hair removed, or continue to apply topical creams and tea tree oil to try to dry it out?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Ingrown hair are sometimes inevitable with waxing like vigorous hair removal method and should be avoided in future and replaced with less aggressive methods like depilatory creams , electric razors or clippers and creams to reduce hair growth like eflornithines (vaniqa ) etc.

Apply some hydrocortisone cream over the area for inflammation and some retinoid creams to clear the dead cells. Avoid scratching and keep the area clean to prevent infection. Wash the affected area using a washcloth or soft-bristled toothbrush. Use a circular motion for several minutes. Always do this before shaving and at bedtime.

Wait and see . The swelling will subside. I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan