• question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflammation of achilles tendons

Posted on Mon, 1 Dec 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was taking levoflaxin sp? I took it for 5 days until my Achilles tendons became inflamed. I stopped it and continued with another antibiotic starts with metro. levo 750 metro 500 6 times a day. diverticulitis seems to be cured. I am having trouble walking but only painful when I walk. I live alone and am 70 years old. Other health issues are not significant.
Can I take Ibuprofen now? Also ankles are swollen. What should I do about that? How long will this persist?
Thanks

XXXXXXX

There is no rupture of the tendons.
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic can be stopped

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Achilles tendinitis has chronic swelling and pain as a result of degenerative, microscopic tears within the tendon. The common cause’s are- Lack of flexibility with ageing, recent changes in footwear and changes in exercise training schedules.

Achilles tendonitis takes time to heal and may take week to month to settle. You can take Ibuprofen. The other treatment of Achilles tendonitis begins with resting the tendon to allow the inflammation to settle down. In more serious situations, adequate rest may require crutches or immobilization of the ankle. Other methods are ice, medications, kinaestheisia tapes, injections.
The ankle swelling could be because of arthritis and requires ankle exercises along with limb elevation.
Hope this helps.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 28 minutes later
I just finished with the other antibiotic metroazole and am not feeling any pain in my abdomen. Still ok to take ibuprofen?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As follows

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you.
Yes,you can have ibuprofen after meal and to prevent indigestion/gastritis, it is better to take drug pantoperazol 40 mg (Tab.pan40 mg) before meal.
Follow up: Dr. Mukesh Chugh 1 minute later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wishing you good health

Detailed Answer:
Hi
You are welcome
If you do not have further query,you may please close the present discussion.If you ever need my help,please log in at http://bit.ly/drmchugh
Thanks
Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement