• question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflammation near elbow joint

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Developed a 2x1.5" soft cushion of fat? or fluid? under the dermis directly above my elbow. When pressed, it does not hurt but does "float" a bit under the skin. Have had some sebaceous cysts before and this does not feel like one--much too soft and pliable.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

This sounds like a case of olecranon bursitis. This happens when there is some inflammation near the elbow joint. It can cause some fluid collection in and around that area.

usually the swelling will slowly regress over time. You might try taking an anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen for several days to see if this helps.generally we do not drain or puncture the area of swelling as the fluid will recur fairly quick after drainage. Your body will usually absorb the collected fluid slowly without any intervention.

I would suggest you to continue monitoring things for the time being. If you develop significant pain or discomfort, then you must consult your primary care doctor for further recommendations.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Unfortunately for diagnostic purposes, I have done nothing to or with my elbow other than raise a fork, glass or the remote. I am a 45-year type 1 diabetic, obese and out of shape. The 'gel sack' behind my elbow has been slowly increasing in size for the past 4 days since I first noticed it.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
this can sometimes occur spontaneously and without any trauma or exertion. Again I would try to keep an eye on things for now and if things don't get better or make it worse than you I would talk to your primary care physician. It would be reasonable to try ibuprofen three times per day for a few days as well to see if that helps.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist