• question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflammation in the feet and elbows

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am suffering from inflammation in my feet and elbows. I have an artificial heart valve and four bypasses. What otc drugs are safe for me to use?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not recommended to take aspirin along with Ibuprofen

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

Aspirin and Ibuprofen do not mix well. Taking them together can cause stomach ulcer and Gastrointestinal bleeding. Ibuprofen can also affect the effectiveness of aspirin. So it is better not to take them together.
A better option is to continue Tylenol for pain relief.And you can take diclofenac, which is a safer anti inflammatory when compared to ibuprofen when taken with aspirin. However, aspirin with diclofenac also has increase risk of stomach upset and bleeding.So always be cautious when you take the two together.If you develop stomach pain, black stools, bleeding etc immediately stop diclofenac and follow up with your doctor.
While taking the two together ,use diclofenac At least two hours after taking aspirin. You can also take XXXXXXX before food to avoid upset stomach.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal