Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for inflamed pink scalp

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
I have had an inflamed diffuse pink scalp for probably more than five years. I stopped dying my hair and let it go gray two years ago, but it still is red/pink. There are no lesions or dandruff. I switched to a sulfate free shampoo. Then I went to a dermatologist who prescribed Fluocinonide, a week ago, but there has been no improvement. I can't seem to find any photos online that look like my scalp. Should I go to a dermatologist who specializes in psoriasis? I don't think the dermatologist knew what it was and so is treating it like dermatitis.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Patience for about two weeks, see dr if failure Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, The duration of the scalp condition you describe is pretty long in my opinion. I am afraid dermatological conditions might be very similar in presentation, despite experience and even after use of many advanced diagnostic tools. Also, considering the fact that this condition has been going for quite some time, the treatment approach and expected results, in this case, should be particular. I humbly think one week is relatively too small in chronic dermatological conditions as such to judge treatment success or failure. My opinion would be exercise more patience for two to three weeks before seeing your treating physician to express your worries, in case of treatment failure. Some chronic skin fungal infections of the scalp could also present as such. A key aspect in dermatology however is the clinical review your doctor did. Patience and compliance to treatment protocols are key. However, do not fail to report to your doctor in case nothing changes within the next two to three weeks. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. DR Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor