• question-icon

Suggest treatment for inflamed ganglion cyst

Posted on Wed, 6 May 2015 in Back Pain
Question: Hi, I have a tfcc tear question. In Sept. I injured my right wrist moving furniture. xrays show no breaks. I have a pretty big ulnar bone swelling. I'm waiting on MRI results and have received 2 cortisone shots. I'm a busy hairstylist and when working am in pretty good pain. I also have a long ulnar. my doc said maybe surgery and ulnar shortening..what do you think and what's the recovery like, how soon could I do hair again?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflamed ganglion cyst likely.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the image attached. The painful swelling of the wrist is likely to be an inflamed ganglion. MRI scan will help in proper diagnosis. In case surgical shortening of ulnar bone or removal of ganglion is needed then it will take 4-6 weeks to heal completely and to return to normal wrist mobility. After 3 weeks you will need few physiotherapy sessions also.
Right now try to keep the wrist immobilized when not working and do a hot compress at least thrice a day in addition to oral anti inflammatory medicines prescribed by your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 minutes later
that bump is my ulnar bone. what's a ganglion?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Described below.

Detailed Answer:
Ganglion is a synovial or myxoid benign swelling of the tendon sheath that can develop after an injury or inflammation. If the lump is your ulnar bone then resection may be needed to decrease the inflammation. Avoid all painful movements. Using a wrist brace can help.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon