Suggest treatment for infertility while having PCOD and hypothyroidism

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: I'm 28F, 156cm, 69kg

I have PCOD and hypothyroidism... and I'm planning for baby... please let me know what all I should include in my diet to conceive as early as possible..
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have a healthy diet

Detailed Answer:

I think you should have a healthy diet consisting of lot of fruits and green vegetables. Try loosing some weight. Do some exercises. It will help a lot.

The problem with PCOD and hypothyroidism is with ovulation. So, you can confirm if ovulation is happening naturally or not by repeated ultrasound or ovulation detection kits. If it is happening normally, you can try naturally for 6 months.

If it doesn't work then you can go for medicines like Clomiphene for the growth of your follicles and track your follicles growth by repeated ultrasound and when your follicles is more than 17 to 18 mm, take injection for rupturing the follicles. Be in contact with your husband every 2 to 3 days after your periods stop.

Take progesterone for next 2 weeks. Do a urine pregnancy test at home after that. You can try like that for 3 to 6 months. Only diet control will not help you much in conceiving.

Hope I have answered your question.
Dr Khushboo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 7 hours later
Rarely I get ovulated... ovulation is not regular. last month I had taken siphene150mg followed by progynova, duphaston. In scan there was 2 major follicle it was ruptured with hcg 5000.. during ovulation we had daily intercourse then alternate day... But unfortunately I dint conceive and got periods...
My husband sperm motility is 40% and high viscosity...
what are the chances of getting pregnant or I need to go for IUI... how many cycle we can take siphene
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take total of 12 cycles of siphene

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think your husband should get a semen culture done. High viscosity can be due to infections. He can take tablets doxycycline and some antioxidants empirically also. Motilliry is fine. Discuss with your doctor regarding this. If liquefaction time is less than 60 minutes, it's okay to try naturally for 3 cycles before going for IUI. The chance to conceive in one cycle of siphene is 7 to 10 percent only. So, try atleast 3 cycles. If it doesn't work then you can go for IUI. Before that you should get a HSG done to see tubal patency. The chance to get pregnant in one cycle of IUI is 10 to 15 percent. A total of 12 cycles of siphene can be taken. After that the risk of ovarian cancer increases.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 1 hour later
Thanks for reply...What is liquefaction time...during ovulation we should have sex daily or alternate day... if we do sex on Day 12,14,16,18,20 is it OK
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Liquefaction time is an indicator of viscosity

Detailed Answer:
Hi, liquefaction time is an indicator of viscosity of semen. You can see this in the semen analysis report of your husband. You can be in contact with your husband every 2 to 3 days after your periods stop. It will cover the ovulation days and you will not get stressed for that. Otherwise you can have contact on the day of injection for rupturing the follicles and the next 2 days. The sperms remain viable for 72 hours for fertilisation and a egg is available to be fertilised for 24 hours. The rupture of follicles occur 34 to 36 hours after the injection. So, contact on day of injection and a day after is enough. But to prevent the stress, you should be in contact every 2 to 3 days after your periods stop. Hope I have answered your question.
Dr XXXXXXX