Suggest treatment for infection of the ear cartilage

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 26 Jun 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a picture of my ear cartilage piercings. I would like to know if you think they are infected, or just bumps and how to treat them.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
cartilage infections require oral antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Infection of the ear cartilage would be associated with pain, swelling and redness. There may also be increased warmth and a discharge.

If these symptoms are present then it is likely that there is an infection. Treatment involves: (1) removal of the earing

(2)in some cases a swab of the area is necessary to determine which bacteria is involved in causing the infection

(3)oral antibiotics

You may want to consider visiting your doctor for a physical assessment of the ear to determine if an infection is present.
You can attach the picture of the ear if you wish.