Suggest treatment for infection in the tooth

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Thanks very much! I have been using Doxycycline HYC and taking 200 mg per day for past 5 days for a possibly infected tooth; seeing the dentist tomorrow.

I had prolonged exposure to the sun while taking this drug 3 days ago and despite applying 30 SPF sunscreen amply, I have broken out into itching hives on my neck and arm.

The medication alert says stay out of the sun; this was difficult but I thought the sunscreen might offset any problems.

Is this a common reaction? If so, would you happen to know how long the hives and itching last?

Again, thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is a common side effect!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting healthcare magic.

Persons on doxycycline are more susceptible to Sunburn. This is why we always recommend increased fluid intake and avoiding the sun so as to minimize this. While sunscreen lotions might help, the chances of getting sun-burn remain high. Clearly, you have suffered from this.

Way out is that you should apply steroids cream to each the itching and burns. This might take anywhere from 7-10days for full healing. Luckily, healing is often complete with minimal side effects.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Kind regards!