Suggest treatment for infection in ear after ear piercing

Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 18 Sep 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my 8months old daughter got her ear pierced 8 weeks ago, i took out the earrings at 6 weeks but noticed it was not properly healed, i put them back in and they bled a little. this evening I realised she was a bit cranky and her right ear was very swollen, with pus. Concerned, I immediately took out the earrings, cleaned her ears which was bleeding a lot; with the cleaning solution given at the ear piercers(claires).I cleaned the ear ring with alcohol and attempted putting the earring in after few hours but she was hurting so much and bleeding a lot.the ear lobe begun swelling so I took it out again.i think it is infected and unsure what to do to keep it from getting worse.
Also how can I better disinfect it?
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may be the infection.

Detailed Answer:

For bleeding to stop you can apply the pressure for 10 to 20 mins or till the bleeding stops , with clean sterile cloth.

Yes if it is swollen and red there are chances that it may get infected.
You can apply fusidic acid cream or mupirocin cream locally to treat or avoid any infection and pus in the ear lobe.

For pain you can give paracetamol or brufen.

Oral antibiotics should be considered after consulting a doctor if it is not getting better with above treatment.

Do not put the earings now till the ear lobe becomes normal.

Hope i helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 13 minutes later
It's past midnight over here and I do not have any antibiotic cream at home, what else can I use? or is it okay to simply rinse with a salt water solution.
Answered by Dr. Omprakash Ashokrao Deshmukh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can rinse with salt water.

Detailed Answer:
Yes it is okay.
You can also apply turmeric powder to the area till you get the antibiotic cream.
Only you should stop the bleeding by applying pressure, antibiotic you can apply from coming morning.
Hope I helped you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju