Suggest treatment for infection in belly button of an infant

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi sir,
I am XXXXXXX my female baby is 36 days from birth by c-section delivery. She had her umbilical cord fall off after 5 days post delivery. We completely healed the wound in the next 2 weeks. Suddenly we saw pus in the next few days from the area , then it was also completely cleaned. Now belly button seems to be an outie with watery yellowish discharge and FYI she is constipating for bowel movement during such times we see the button reddish ,swollen .Please suggest us what to do and when it will be healed?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
pediatric surgeon opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX thanks for trusting health care magic.
This is a serious problem and should be tackled actively at the earliest.
After going through your history in my opinion it is related to patent urachus which is basically a conduit for urine in fetal life of the baby so that urine from baby reaches maternal circulation and is excreted.
Mostly it closes at or before birth but in some cases it remains patent and this gives continuous discharge.
It needs pediatric surgeon evaluation and most probably will be needing surgery soon.
All the best and in case you have other questions I will be happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 11 minutes later
Can't we cure it naturally without surgery, if so the bellybutton remains as it is what would be the futuristic problems?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
surgery will be needed

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I understand your anxiety related to the surgery matter.
But it can only be decided after certain special x-rays which will delineate the defect if any.
And it needs examination along with these tests to decide if baby needs surgical procedure or it can be dealt with just antibiotics.
But seeing the prolonged history and attached pictures, it appears that it will need some intervention ranging from mild denudation of scab covering the belly button to clipping of the communication of bladder.
And the good part is it has excellent results and is a minor procedure.
It usually closes by itself in first couple of weeks in most babies and since it hasn't so far then chances of getting complicated in the form of umblical infection or repeated urine infections is pretty high.
Your anxiety is justified but don't be sad thinking of it because it can be dealt with easily with no future implications after treatment.