Suggest treatment for infection around the fingernail

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 25 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello Doctor,

This is a question on behalf of my wife. Since last 3-4 years she continuously has infection problem with one of her hand thumb around the nail. There is always some redness or swelling and sometimes pus formation. After a week or so, it slowly subsides. But then again comes up in a few weeks.

Her thumb does not look smooth and appears rough and patchy. It is usually very painful at time of infection. Can you please suggest

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of acute on chronic paronychia

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and according to me your wife is having acute on chronic paronychia.
It is infection of the nail folds which is commonly seen in persons who keep their hands wet like in washing and cleaning.
Sometimes chronic use of soaps and detergents can also lead to this problem.
Ask her to avoid keeping her hands wet, wear gloves while doing washing, don't wash her hands frequently, avoid using soaps and detergents.
Besides this in case the infection and pus develops ask her to take a course of oral and topical antibiotic.
For the persistent redness and swelling ask her to apply cream containing steroid antibiotic antifungal combination and take tablet itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 3-4 weeks.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina