Suggest treatment for infected ingrown hair

Question
I have an ingrown hair right on my belt line. It has been there for about 2-3 weeks. It it infected(but the signs of infection have waxed and waned), and I have picked at it daily as it is a big annoyance. I would guess it to be 1 CM across. It just doesn't seem to go away as I haven't gotten the hair out of it. What should I do next?
I have had a full work up within the last 2 months and my blood sugar levels are within the normal range. I will proceed with the suggested steps and see how it goes. Thank you. I will report back right before this discussion is closed
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Incision and drainage

Detailed Answer:

if the lesion is filled with pus then the best way to get rid of it completely is to incise it and drain the pus completely.

After draining the pus you may have to apply antibacterial ointments like Mupirocin. This will take not more than 3 days to completely cure the infection there.

If there is no pus pointing in the lesion then you may have to take a course of antibiotics ones like Azithromycin or Clarythromycin minimum for a week.

Hope, I answered your query.